Years and years and days worth of effort – that’s how long it’s taken me to submit to the need for a scientific approach to getting good results with photogravure.
Now I’m here. Multiple test plates for every image, carefully listing and controlling the variables of image exposure time, stochastic screen exposure time, washing time, washing pressure, drying time, drying temperature, not to mention the ink viscosity, transparency, printing pressure, blankets… and I’m documenting EVERYTHING.
I am finally beginning to get some results I’m happy with… on a reliable basis, in a way where I can understand WHY I got the results I did. Luxury!
It’s a subtle thing that I’ve learnt over all the years I’ve been making art: that its one thing to fluke an amazing print (or any piece of art), and quite another thing being able to produce an amazing effect deliberately.